As of 1st August 2023 this scheme has been suspended whilst it is under review. No applications will be accepted at the current time.
ABCD will consider claims from members who are Specialist Registrars to assist with travel expenses when presenting their work at an international meeting.
In the first instance you would need to submit a proposal via the Travel Grant Scheme Application Form detailing the reasons you would like to claim, the destination meeting and the sum to be claimed.
Each claim is dealt with on an individual basis. All claims are settled after the meeting has taken place. The maximum payable is £1,000 and receipts for expenses must be produced.
Grant Terms and Conditions
- Maximum grant funds available £1,000.
- Travel grants are only available to members of ABCD who are a SpR.
- Travel grants are only available to applicants whose employer is not covering the cost of attendance.
- Travel grants are not available to those who have successfully applied for other bursary schemes (commercial or non-commercial).
- Travel grants will only be paid to those who attend conferences in full.
- Only those claim forms submitted within two weeks of the date of the conference and accompanied by receipts for standard class travel only (or declared mileage), accommodation and/or conference registration will be paid.
- All payments will be made by direct bank transfer and account details must be provided.
- Travel grants will not be paid if the participant has to cancel attendance at the event. Participants are advised to take out appropriate travel insurance to cover cancellation costs.
- Recipients of the travel grant will be expected to submit a short article (maximum 500 words plus portrait photograph) on their experience of the event and learning for inclusion in ABCD materials including ABCD website updates, e-news and/or ABCD news in British Journal of Diabetes.
- Where the grant is a proize awarded at a meeting, the grant should be claimed within 2 years of the original presentation, and the work must be related to the presentation of the winning research or ABCD related research at an international meeting
- The funding from ABCD must be acknowledged in your presentation.