Patient Representative Opportunity
ABCD Type 1 Diabetes Clinical Collaborative – UK (T1DCC-UK)
Patient representative on the committee
Applications are invited for two patient representatives to join the committee of the newly-formed Type 1 Diabetes Clinical Collaborative – UK, hosted by the Association of British Clinical Diabetologists (ABCD) in partnership with Diabetes UK.
To ensure that everyone with type 1 diabetes has access to a suitably-trained multidisciplinary specialist team for expert assessment, care and support for self-management.
Terms of reference
- To identify the number of organisations providing specialist type 1 diabetes care, irrespective of where that care is delivered.
- To ensure that specialist multidisciplinary diabetes teams across the UK deliver care according to the current standards.
- To have a Clinical Lead for type 1 diabetes in each unit, who will be responsible for:
- Providing data annually about the service for benchmarking purposes
- Completing a self-assessment survey of the type 1 service, including staffing numbers and training undertaken by staff specifically in type 1 diabetes competencies.
- To share and promote good and innovative practice in the field of type 1 diabetes
- The collaborative will have themed work streams:
- Pumps and technologies – The established and successful ABCD IPN-UK will be part of the collaborative and fulfil this function.
- Health care professional education, training and work force issues – This will look at the composition and training of members of the multidisciplinary team.
- Patient Education – This will be concerned with ensuring that approved education is available at diagnosis and at other relevant times for every adult with type 1 diabetes. This will cover formal tructured education programmes supplemented by easily-accessible on-line courses and material.
- Whole of life – The collaborative will address care delivered from transitioning of young people from the paediatric diabetes care through to the end-of-life.
- Enabling success – The collaborative will support and empower people with type 1 diabetes to achieve their potential.
- Quality Improvement – The collaborative will facilitate a UK-wide approach to data collection, analysis and presentation in ways that will encourage continuous improvement in processes and outcomes.
This is a collaborative of health care professionals working in teams providing care for adults with type 1 diabetes across the UK. The committee is made up of individual health care professionals from all the disciplines from the four nations who are passionate about raising the standards of care for people with type 1 diabetes. It is currently chaired by Dr Rob Gregory, immediate past chair of ABCD, with Professor Stephanie Amiel and Professor Simon Heller as non-executive co-chairs.
The collaborative is seeking two patients with type 1 diabetes to represent the views of the service users. The positions are for a fixed term of one year.
- Should have type 1 diabetes themselves, and have experience of accessing specialist care in the UK.
- Experience of having received education in type 1 diabetes self-management.
- A passion for improving services for people with type 1 diabetes.
- Ability to attend meetings of the collaborative – minimum twice a year, likely to be held in London and last no more than 3 hours.
- Ability to receive and comment on documents circulated electronically to committee.
- Experience of committee membership.
- Previous experience of representing people with type 1 diabetes at local, regional or national level
- Experience of working with national bodies on diabetes-related matters, eg NICE, a medical Royal College, National Diabetes Audit, Diabetes UK etc..
- Experience of working as part of a patient-organisation.
- Media awareness
This post is not remunerated, however reasonable travel expenses will be re-imbursed
If this opportunity appeals to you, please contact email@example.com for an application form
Closing date for applications 7 July 2017